MedStar Surgery Center (MSC) is committed to ensuring the following patient rights:
1. The right to safe, confidential, and considerate care. Patients are treated with respect, consideration and dignity.
2. The right to be informed at the time of the procedure about any treatment which will be performed and the risks and dangers of that treatment, and the opportunity to participate in decisions related to treatment.
3. The right to privacy concerning your personal care.
4. The right to know the facility charges which you will incur for treatment and MSC’s payment policies.
5. The right to refuse part or all of the treatment suggested to you at MSC, including participation in experimental research.
6. The right to submit an advance directive.
7. The right to confidentiality regarding your medical care and treatment.
8. The right to know how MSC’s credentials healthcare professionals.
9. The right to voice grievances and recommend changes in policies to MSC's staff and Board of Directors.
As a patient, you are responsible for:
1. Providing accurate and complete information concerning your present complaints, past medical history and other matters relating to your health.
2. Making it known whether you clearly comprehend the course of your medical treatment and what is expected of you.
3. Following the treatment plan established by your physician, including the instructions of nurses and other health professionals as they carry out the physician’s orders.
4. Keeping appointments and notifying the facility or physician when you are able to do so.
5. Providing an adult to transport you home after general anesthesia, sedation or major anesthetic block.
6. Your actions should you refuse treatment or not follow your physician’s orders.
7. Assuring that financial obligations are fulfilled as promptly as possible.
8. Following facility policies and procedures.
9. Being considerate of the rights of other patients and facility personnel.
10. Being respectful of your personal property and that of other persons in the facility.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.