How are the financial arrangements handled?
- Prior to your arrival at MedStar Surgery Center, a business office associate will have already contacted your physician's office and/or your insurance company to determine if the procedure had been approved and if any payment may be required of you.
- We bill your primary and secondary insurance as a courtesy to you. Please be aware that the contractual agreement is between you and the insurance company, and not the physician or the surgery center.
- Full and final responsibility for the expenses incurred is the responsibility of the patient and/or guarantor. Be aware that prior authorization does not oblige the carrier to pay for the expenses incurred. We appreciate your assistance in ensuring your insurance company responds to our billing.
What insurance plans are accepted?
- Aetna/Aetna Medicare Advantage/Aetna Workers' Compensation Plans
- Aetna Now Includes: Coventry/Firsthealth/Coventry Medicare: Advantra Freedom
- Carefirst Bluecross Blueshield (CFBCBS)
- Cigna Healthcare
- Kaiser Permanente/Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage
- MD Medicaid (FFS)
- DC Medicaid (FFS)
- MedStar Family Choice (MD Medicaid)/ MedStar Select/MedStar Medicare Choice (MD Medicare Advantage)
- Private Healthcare Systems, Inc. (PHCS)
- PFC Associates (Police & Fire Clinic)
- United Healthcare Commercial Plans (UHC)/ United Healthcare Mid-Atlantic Services, Inc. (UHC-MAMSI)/United Healthcare Medicare Plans/United Healthcare Community Plan (MD Medicaid)/United Healthcare
- Workers' Compensation Plans
What if I do not have insurance or my insurance does not approve the procedure?
Your physician's office can contact our business office to determine the estimated cost of the procedure.
How is the cost of the procedure determined?
Because a predetermined fee is charged for each type of procedure, we are able to give you a reasonably accurate estimate of your cost in advance. This fee includes routine medications, standard supplies and use of the operating and recovery rooms. You may have additional charges for special items that are not included in the predetermined fee.
The amount that is requested of you at the time of registration is only an estimate. You are responsible for any additional expenses that may be incurred. All co-payments, co-insurance and deductibles are collected at the time of service. Full payment is required at the time of admission for non-covered procedures and for a patient who does not have medical insurance. We accept most major credit cards, cash, money orders, and certified or cashier's checks. In the event of overpayment, we will promptly refund the amount of the overpayment.
Separate physician billing
You will be billed separately for the physician's services as well as for the services of the anesthesiologist and, if applicable, pathologist, radiologist, cardiologist and laboratory testing.
What if I have more questions?
Please feel free to contact our billing office at 410-540-4432, Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.